Digital signage refers to signs, billboards, and other visual elements that are meant to communicate a message or convey information to people. With the right digital signage systems, you can improve communications with your employees, with your customers, with visitors, or with almost any other audience you can think of.
However, many people underestimate the versatility and ultimate value of digital signage—especially if they’ve never had a digital signage strategy in place before.
Why Digital Signage?
First, let’s take a look at some of the natural advantages that digital signage has over other forms of communication:
- Visual appeal. Human beings are visually centric creatures; we process visual data far better than we process other forms of data, so the quickest and most effective way to convey a message is through a visual format. This only makes sense, as we’ve been using signs as communicative tools for thousands of years. However, digital signage takes things to the next level, allowing you to translate all manner of messages into a visual form.
- The impression of technology. Imagine walking into a store with a large poster or static display that shows you the layout of the physical building, complete with instructions and a key that tells you how to read the map. Now imagine the same store, but in its place is an interactive LED-backlit display with much more in-depth tools available to help you navigate. The latter is more impressive, right? Digital signage can boost the appeal of your brand.
- Durability. In many ways, digital signs are more durable than their paper counterparts. If you’re still relying on old-fashioned visuals that take damage and eventually crumble off the wall, it might be time for an upgrade.
- Customizability. One of the biggest advantages of digital signs is that you’ll have the ability to customize them however you like. Obviously, you can choose the information you include initially, but you an also choose to rotate that information with other alternative displays, and you can swap things out at a moment’s notice. Using digital signage software, you can orchestrate exactly what you want on display at different times, and change your displays whenever you want.
- Artwork and animations. Many people leverage digital signs because they’re better capable of supporting artwork and animations. You’re not limited in terms of what you can display, as you are with a static, printed sign.
- Placement and coordination. Depending on how you utilize your digital signage, you could coordinate your messaging throughout an entire building—or even across multiple buildings. You can use the same, centralized digital signage platform to change messaging on the fly for all the digital signs connected to it. This allows you to craft large-scale messaging campaigns, and can help you display your messaging in unique ways.
- Interactivity. Some forms of digital signage also allow for interactivity; people interacting with the signs can choose different pieces of information to “zoom in” on, or may be able to cycle between different displays themselves. Interactive technology tends to be highly engaging, making it perfect for educational or informational purposes.
Information That Can Be Included
If you’re not sure what types of information you would include on a digital sign, these are just a handful of possible applications:
- Navigation. Help your customers (or your employees) better understand the layout of your physical building, and direct them to wherever they need to go.
- Rules and regulations. Post rules and regulations for employees, or guide them through work procedures associated with a given area.
- Weather, stocks, time, etc. Give your audience regular updates about information that changes in real-time; for example, you can list the weather, current stock prices, the time and date, and other relevant information.
- Data and graphs. Digital signs are highly effective at communicating data through the help of graphs and charts. Use it as the ideal data visualization tool.
- Video streams. You can also use digital signs to stream videos as you see fit.
- Countdowns. Use digital signage as part of a countdown, whether you’re looking forward to a new year or the launch of your latest product.
The Ease of Getting Started
To a newcomer, digital signage seems both complex and expensive, but in reality, it’s highly affordable, especially considering the benefits of installing digital signage—and it’s remarkably easy to learn. Today’s digital signage software makes it easy even for total amateurs to design compelling visuals and change them on the fly, utilizing drag-and-drop editors and intuitive UI to make the process as straightforward as possible.
If you’ve never used digital signage for your organization before, now’s the perfect time to consider integrating it. Whether you’re communicating to employees, customers, or another audience, they can be powerful tools to keep your audience engaged.